SAP GUI for Windows is the tool we used to connect to the SAP system. In this chapter we learn the process of installing SAP GUI for Windows and do the required configuration for connecting to the system [sampled below]. When you install SAP NetWeaver Application Server (AS) ABAP Trial, the default license is valid for three months.
We also learn the process of requesting a new license and applying this license to the system if the license expires. You can install a new license before the old license expires. It is a best practice to install the new license before the expiration of the old one, but if your old license expires, then you can install it using SAP* user. We also go through the process of stopping and starting SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP. To read about these topics, visit the full publication Introduction to ABAP: A Project-Driven Guide.
Install and Configure SAP Graphical User Interface (GUI) for Windows
SAP Graphical User Interface (SAP GUI) is used to connect to an SAP application (e.g., SAP ERP, SAP Supply Chain Management [SCM], or SAP Business Warehouse [SAP BW]). SAP GUI is available for three different environments: SAP GUI for Windows, SAP GUI for HTML, and SAP GUI for Java. In our project we will use SAP GUI for Windows, which is the best option for development because the new ABAP Editor and Debugger are available in SAP GUI for Windows. We have already downloaded the setup files of SAP GUI with the SAP NetWeaver setup files. Let’s start the SAP GUI installation.
Video 2.1 shows how to install and configure SAP GUI for Windows.
Install SAP GUI for Windows
To install SAP GUI follow menu path C:\Downloads\NWABAPTRIAL70304_64\Frontend&tools and then follow these steps:
- Right-click the file SAP_GUI_for_Windows_7.20_Patchlevel_7_SDN_version_20110701_1428 and select Run as administrator from the context menu
- Click the Yes button from the User Account Control pop-up window
- Click the Next button from the first installation window
- Check the SAP GUI for Windows 7.20 Patch level 7 SDN version check box and click the Next button
- After a few seconds you get a message that the installation was successful. Click the Close button.
Configure SAP GUI for Windows
For connecting SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP using SAP GUI, we need to create a connection in SAP GUI. This connection lets us connect and do our development in an SAP system. Follow the steps below to configure SAP GUI for Windows.
1. Run SAP GUI for Windows from a desktop shortcut and click the new icon [icon] to create a connection (Figure 2.1)
Figure 2.1 The initial screen for SAP GUI for Windows
2. Click the Next button from the first connection window (not shown)
3. Fill in all the required fields as seen in Figure 2.2 and click the Finish button
Figure 2.2 SAP GUI configuration (connection settings)
You see one new connection entry created on the initial screen of SAP GUI for Windows (Figure 2.3). Double-click that entry to open an initial logon screen (Figure 2.4). You can log on to the system using SAP* user and the Master Password that you entered during installation of SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP as shown in Figure 1.55 in Chapter 1.
To continue reading, please visit the full publication Introduction to ABAP: A Project-Driven Guide.